USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:56:19 UTC 2009

Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>
> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB port. After the
> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I simply pulled the
> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is mounted
> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't work and move it
> to trash and that did not work either.
>
> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can unmount it and
> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>
> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will work either,

Logging back in should work. The nearest I have seen your situation is
when I connect a camera via the USB port. If the camera powers off by
itself (due to long inactivity), the device icon on the desktop does not
go away. If I replug the camera, a new icon appears. I have not been
able to remove the icon that was left over by any other means than to
relogin.

Regards.

ever having been read.