Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 20 00:09:24 UTC 2009

On 01/16/2009 02:49 AM, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear NoOp, Nils and Everybody
>
> Thanks for all the feedback so far. Now, I am trying to use your
> recent feedback to try to solve the eth0-connection problem. In this
> message, I want to deal with the file /etc/network/interfaces.
> Yesterday I already adapted that file via a command mentioned by one
> of you:
>> kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
> I do manage also to get the changes saved. However, I am not yet sure
> whether I did it correctly. Below, you can find a copy of the file as
> it is now:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

modify the file to include _only_ those two lines. You can comment out
the rest by placing a # in front if you wish:

# auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet static
# address 192.168.1.20
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# gateway 192.18.1.1

or delete them. It does not matter.

Now open the intrepid network manager and click on the Wired tab and
entry for "Wired connection 1" then click "Edit". In IPv4 Settings:

Method: Manual
Addresses:
  Address - 192.168.1.20
  Netmask - 255.255.255.0
  Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: entery the dns servers for your ISP (see [1] below)
[note: if your ISP has multiple DNS servers you can enter them separated
by a comma (,): x.x.x.x, x.x.x.x]
Now click on the "Wired" tab and enter the mac address for your eth0
(from your ifconfig output):

MAC Address: 00:40:ca:bc:9e:88
MTU: 1500

Now click OK. You'll get a password prompt: enter your password.

Now open a terminal and:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/hosts
ping google.com
[note: Ctrl-C will stop the pings]
ping 192.168.1.1
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Report back what the output of those commands are.

[1] To find out the dns server(s) you use, you can either look in your
router and/or other machine configurations, or from the web:
http://whatsmyip.org and enter the ip number in a dig command in the
terminal on one of your other machines to determine the ISP's dns
server. For example, my IP is currently 69.228.221.207. So to find out
what DNS server I am using:

 dig 69.228.221.207

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> 69.228.221.207
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;69.228.221.207.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.			10800	IN	SOA	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2009011901
1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 19 msec
;; SERVER: 68.94.156.1#53(68.94.156.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Jan 19 15:42:29 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 107

SERVER: 68.94.156.1#53(68.94.156.1) is what I am looking for and from
that I can see that I use 68.94.156.1, so 68.94.156.1 is what I would
enter in "DNS Servers:" above.