HTML table editor wanted.

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 18 14:03:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:52:02PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:13:38PM +1030, squareyes wrote:
> > Chris G wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables.  In particular I
> > > want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> > > spans and column spans.
> > >
> > > I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> > > word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> > > file into tables.  I just want it to be simple to use.
> > >
> > > Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
> > > but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
> > > "Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.
> > >
> > > I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
> > > what's its tables like?
> > >

> > Hi,
> > have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
> > Hope this helps.
> > Winton
> >
> I tried Bluefish a long time ago but not for the specific job I have
> in mind at the moment so I'll take another look, thanks.

I just took a look, Bluefish doesn't really make column spans or row
spans easy and those are specifically what I want to do.  I'm not even
sure if it really knows about them.

I'm after constructing tables with the following sort of (ASCII art) layout:-

+---------+---------+---------+
|         |         |         |
+---------+---------+---------+
|                   |         |
+---------+---------+---------+
|         |         |         |

The above would actually work in reStructuredText but it's labourious
and messy to enter with an editor and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it.

--
Chris Green