USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 17 21:27:36 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 1/17/09, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>
> Subject: USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 1:54 PM
> Folks,
>
> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>
> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB
> port. After the
> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I
> simply pulled the
> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is
> mounted
> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't
> work and move it
> to trash and that did not work either.
>
> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can
> unmount it and
> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>
> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will
> work either,
> since a user swap left it) or restarting my system how do I
>  go about
> removing this critter?

Not sure this will fix it but it's the right way to remove a
thumb drive.
Plug the drive back in and right click the icon selecting
safely remove on the drop down. Do that on both icons if
another appears on the desktop before removing the drive.
Then remove the drive and if you are lucky both icons will
be gone. If that doesn't work, with the drive plugged in
try umount making sure to use the exact dev node name for
the one you exited incorrectly.  If neither works, you
need better help from someone else.  HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net