extern hard drives

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 16 16:07:37 UTC 2009

On 01/16/2009 07:12 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:

>> If you wish to store files larger than 4GB (for example the Ubuntu DVD
>> which is 4.4GB) on that drive you'll need to convert it ntfs. Ref:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310525/EN-US/
>>
>> I suspect that if you convert the drive to ntfs you'll probably be able
>> to see it in XP.
>>

> My thinking was that if I formated Fat 32 I would be able to take
> pictures back and forth from XP to linux and use them in video in
> cinelerra but do brush work in Paint with wacom pad. If I change the
> files to NTFS I won't be able to take them into Ubuntu to use them in
> vidio. Is that correct??  I don't know maybe I can't do what I want to
> do??  It may be asking too much to work files in both programs like that.

No, it's not correct. You can use NTFS for the video files w/no problem.
If you'd like, format just a small ntfs partition and put a few test
files on it.

I've several dual boot systems w/NTSF WinXP on them an have no problem
mounting and transfering files back and forth.

On the WinXP side I also have ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/) -
similar to the program mentioned by Alex on *one* machine. I only put it
on one machine as it creates a serious risk in that you can write to the
Ubuntu drive from the XP drive/machine... meaning that a Windows virus
could as well.