extern hard drives

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 15:12:23 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/15/2009 06:50 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:

>>> Looks good. The asterix should not matter, it just makes it
>>> bootable. Can you read and write files to this partition from
>>> Ubuntu?
>>>

>>> Yes I can read and write to the files in ubuntu.   I went back to
>>> Xp and found I am now getting an error. I went back to Xp and am
>>> now getting an error message since changing the letter so that I
>>> can see the empty drive In the my Computer folder.  The only thing
>>> I know to do about that is to take xp back to befor  I put the new
>>> drive letter in.  I am suspecting that Xp is the problem.
>>>
>> Doug
>>

> If you wish to store files larger than 4GB (for example the Ubuntu DVD
> which is 4.4GB) on that drive you'll need to convert it ntfs. Ref:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463
>
> I suspect that if you convert the drive to ntfs you'll probably be able
> to see it in XP.

My thinking was that if I formated Fat 32 I would be able to take
pictures back and forth from XP to linux and use them in video in
cinelerra but do brush work in Paint with wacom pad. If I change the
files to NTFS I won't be able to take them into Ubuntu to use them in
vidio. Is that correct??  I don't know maybe I can't do what I want to
do??  It may be asking too much to work files in both programs like that.

         Doug