[ubuntu-users] Security and Intrusions

Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. thilts at mcsnet.ca
Wed Jan 14 18:32:39 UTC 2009

This email not about Thunderbird but I use Thunderbird as an example.  I
noticed that when using Thunderbird mailer some of the "cc" alternatives
in the prompt field were not mine nor anyone I contacted. I currently
operate with no firewall active for the machines in my LAN because I am
trying to address some issues that the firewall complicates.  So I am
***not*** asking about how to set up a firewall.  I am asking the
following: "How do I establish if I have an intruder using my LAN
resources"???.   Recently I have seen the operation of one of my LAN
machines get slower and slower while there is little or no change in the
performance of other LAN machines.

Also, a related issue: How do I establish if a slow down of processing
on my LAN computers is due to:

1. A problem within the LAN itself.

2. or a problem on the Internet:
 due to congestion of the route available

3. or the slowness of a certain server passing data to my LAN(down for
maintenance or simply overloaded and dropping clients)

4. or one of the ISPs throttling (restricting) bandwidth (I know that
Bell Canada sells bandwidth to my ISP (I am in Canada) and Bell has been
identified in the news as doing this and has been before the CRTC to
justify it's behavior.  Also, a British ISP has engaged in this behavior
according to the news.  My ISP says that Bell's behavior does not affect
them and therefore does not affect me.  However, in a recent news
article one of Bell's associated ISPs (who buys bandwidth from Bell) was
restricted by Bell in the use of that bandwidth during certain times.

I ask these above questions because I encounter numerous slowdowns and
drop offs affecting my LAN (some requiring reboot) as well as certain
LAN machines going almost dead at one time and then booming along at
some other time or one machine in particular doing very little while
another machine is doing a lot. Based on the list's discussion on SSH I
know there are people on the list that can answer these questions. My
LAN has both Windows and Linux machines. I really need to get some kind
of handle on all of this.  Is there an application somewhere that can
track all of this so that it is obvious to ***me*** (retired -- old and
getting older -- forgetful and getting more forgetful -- dumb and
getting dumber -- with one foot already in the grave).

Thanks -- Ted