create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:25:24 UTC 2009

habtool wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:17 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>> mierda tuti wrote:
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
>>> ghost do it in windows.
>>>
>>> Many thanks and sorry for my english,
>>>

>> You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by
>> bit
>> copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
>> instructions on it's usage see this link -
>>
>> <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>
> I have had good results from partimage
>
> http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-FAQ
> Partimage vs others
> [edit] What does partimage give you over the following: clear the free
> blocks with DD, and copy with DD
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/filetmp
> rm /mnt/filetmp
> dd if=/dev/xxx
> gzip > image_file.gz
>      1. Partimage is faster. You don't have to wait for "dd
>         if=/dev/zero" first. during the copy, free blocks are not read.
>         Then, if 20 % of the partition is used, partimage will avoid two
>         access to 80 % of the free areas.
>      2. There's a GUI (graphical user interface). It has a lot of
>         advantages: you can see the remaining time, the percentage of
>         the copy, ... The Qt GUI in the next version will be very nice
>         and easy to use.
>      3. Partimage can work on file systems which are not supported
>         (stable write support) by the Linux kernel, such as NTFS, BSD
>         ffs, XFS/JFS in a non-patched kernel. To run "dd if=/dev/zero",
>         you need the write support in Linux.
>      4. Partimage is made to be easy to use, and to replace commercial
>         software such as Ghost, Drive Image, ... and the user does not
>         have to know many command lines.
>      5. Partimage has a lot of options, such as -V which allow th create
>         a new volume if space is missing. DD will show and error and
>         abort.
>      6. The network support allows to save an image file from a client,
>         without having to configure both client and server NFS. (Network
>         File System). When the multicast will be implemented, it will
>         allow to restore X clients from 1 server, and DD can't do a such
>         multicast copy.
>      7. We provide rootdisk and bootcd. You can boot on it, if Linux is
>         not installed on your computer. They contains everything that is
>         need (the LZO compression in 0.7, which is very useful for big
>         files). You don't have all these tools on every boot rescue
>         systems.

I second that. I have used it in the past to retain images of 'factory
default' hard disks. This was a couple of years or so ago. I am sure
there have been improvements in these open source disk imaging tools
since them. Somebody mentioned fog, it appears it uses partimage
internally. However, it doesn't appears to be in Ubuntu repos yet, at
least not in Hardy.

ever having been read.