Assets & Issues

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Jan 10 10:28:07 UTC 2009

Ernst Doubt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work at a small college and we have a need for a system to manage
> our assets (computers, networking gear, printers, software, etc...)
> that's much more pressing than our need to upgrade our trouble ticket
> system (we currently leverage trac for that, somewhat unsuccessfully
> as it has a ticketing system that's more geared to an open source
> software project than it is to a small college helpdesk).   But it
> seems silly to look at an Asset database solution that doesn't have a
> way to integrate easily with a good trouble-ticket system.
>
> In the end I'm sure that we could get funding to buy a purchased,
> proprietary system that would probably be adequate, but I'm wondering
> if any of you have suggestions of software packages (especially
> open-source/free software solutions) that I might want to look into.
> Network autodiscovery of assets is definitely *not* a requirement.
> Really what I want is a robust DB schema with a decent (presumably
> web-based) front-end.   Postgresql is preferred (though not the only
> back end we would consider).
>

> We have a total of 700 or so users (if you count all students faculty
> and staff) and a very small staff (just a few of us with another half
> dozen or so student workers), but it's important that we be able to
> integrate (in order to leverage credentials and groups) with our
> existing LDAP server (which is fairly vanilla OpenLDAP).
>
>       thanks so very much in advance,
>               Ernst Doubt

Hello,

I'm a firm believer in using software available from the repositories
via Synaptic Package Manager, as anything installed that way gets
updated for you, and supposedly has been proven to work well with
Ubuntu. So... I've just done a search within Synaptic, and it comes up
with the following package.

It is available in the package named "glpi" Here is it's description -

> IT and Asset management software
> GLPI stands for “Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique”,
> GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration
> Interface.
>
> You can use it to build up a database with an inventory for your company
> (computer, software, printers…). It has enhanced functions to make the
> daily life for the administrators easier, like a job tracking system with
> mail-notification and methods to build a database with basic information
> about your network-topology.
Looking at the dependencies, it uses Apache and php-MySql, so it may not
fit your requirement for Postgresql. There was one other package called
Pads which does network auto detection of assets, but you expressed that
you do not require that ability.

That's all I could find with the search term "asset", I hope it can be
of some help to you.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows