Screen Saver

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Jan 10 04:14:10 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>
>> Ray Parrish wrote:

>>> If you want to help, at least read the thread first... That setting has
>>> never been set to anything else. I never turned it on in the first
>>> place, all I did was open the Screen Saver dialog and preview the screen
>>> savers to see which are available. To try to get it to stop, I have even
>>> un-installed the package gnome-screensaver, and it still won't go away...
>>>

>> No one has asked this, so I will. Do you perchance have kscreensaver
>> installed? If you have installed any KDE components such as K3B or
>> Kstars you will also have installed other KDE core components to provide
>> the supporting libraries. I have heard that kscreensaver can be
>> installed with them. A vexing problem, I know, lets hope you can solve it.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Well, to be on the safe side, I opened Synaptic, and searched on
> "screen" I don't have kscreensaver installed, but there are a couple of
> packages installed that go with it. Here they are with their descriptions.
>

>> GL(Mesa) screen hacks for xscreensaver
>> These are some extra hacks for xscreensaver that use the Mesa
>> OpenGL-compatible library. They are included as an extra package so
>> the base package doesn't require Mesa. In addition, these hacks function
>> nicely as GL demos for people who want to try out hardware accelerated 3D
>> with X.Org
>>
>> This is the set of GL screensavers shipped by default. More GL
>> screensavers
>> can be found in the xscreensaver-gl-extra package.
>>

>> data files to be shared among screensaver frontends
>> This package contains the so called "hacks" (the single screensavers
>> that get displayed from a screensaver app). It is split out to be used
>> with programs like gnome-screensaver that bring no own hacks, but can
>> display them. Additionally it contains the various tools to load text
>> or images from external sources.
>>
>> This is the selected set of non-GL screensavers shipped by default.
>> More hacks can be found in the xscreensaver-data-extra package.
>>

> When I mark these for removal, they also want to remove
> ubuntu-desktop... Now I have done a previous search in Synaptic, and
> discovered that ubuntu-desktop isn't even installed on here, but I'm
> nervous about letting it try to remove it.
>
> I think before I do that, I'm going to re-install gnome-screensaver, and
> then mark it for complete removal instead of just removal to see if that
> helps any.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

That didn't work either. I even re-booted after complete removal, and
still the damn thing runs.

I will now take the plunge, and get rid of the two packages that contain
extra screen saver modules [which want to remove ubuntu-desktop] and see
if that does any good.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows