Can't get resolution higher than 640x480 after playing Frets on Fire

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 19:18:00 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 1/8/09, Ruud Jansen <rd.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ruud Jansen <rd.jansen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Can't get resolution higher than 640x480 after playing Frets on Fire
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 11:40 AM
> 2009/1/4 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
> > On 01/04/2009 06:53 AM, Ruud Jansen wrote:

> in 640x480), I am not able
> original resolution. When I go to
> Resolution, I can only choose 640x480
> didn't fix the problem.

> reconfiguring or
> to fix the problem.

> my xorg.conf for configuring
> rather empty, I have no idea

> driver. I use that and get
> >>
> >> I just installed the nvidia-glx-177 driver, and
> indeed I can set the
> >> resolution to 1024x768. But the resolution used to
> be 1440x900. So
> >> everythings looks too wide now, but at least I can
> use the graphical
> >> interface properly again. Maybe I should just
> reinstall... :(
> >
> > What card? As you can see, there are several different
> drivers intended
> > for specific cards:
> >

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search?text=nvidia-graphics-drivers
>
> $ lspci | grep nV
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72
> [GeForce
> 7300 SE] (rev a1)
>
> In the meantime I reinstalled Ubuntu (8.10), and even that
> didn't let
> me choose my original resolution of 1440x900. I am
> completely confused
> by this...
> --
> Ruud Jansen

Hi, Ruud. I have the bfg nvidia G71 7300 card and it works fine using
the nvidia-glx-new-envy 177 driver and my LG 22" lcd works fine at its
native resolution of 1680x1050.  I don't think you lost your original
xorg.conf in your /etc/X11 dir after an upgrade.  You might want to look there to see if your original is still there if you haven't already. The saved xorg.conf files are usually appended with a date code that might be helpful in locating the right one.  In any case, you may have to add the specific resolution configuration to your current xorg.conf file. The computer that I have a specific resolution is in the shop so I can't tell you precisely how to do it but you should be able to discover it by googling or checking the archives for the last month or two. I can't remember if the resolution settings go into the section "Screen" or "ServerLayout". I believe the correct entry point is in the section "ServerLayout"  under a subsection for screen resolution where you can enter the resolution you want or several compatible resolutions for you card and monitor.  In my case I added the specific native resolution for my monitor, 1680x1050, and everything
 worked fine, however, the formating for the entry has to be precise for it to work and both the section and subsection had to be ended properly.  HTH a little and maybe someone using that feature in xorg.conf can supply the specifics.  It worked for me anyway.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

 -