OT: Internet Provider

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 18:44:02 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 1/8/09, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com> wrote:

> From: CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com>
> Subject: Re: OT: Internet Provider
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 12:07 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > My Friend Scott, You may be correct that this list is
> an international Ubuntu user list and I know people form
> around the world post to it.  However, when I first signed
> up for Ubuntu Users, I clicked the American English list and
> this list url is what I got. so, for my purpose, this is the
> American Ubuntu list.  If you know something more than I do
> then please post the url, err email address for the American
> Ubuntu user list as I like to investigate it.
> > Thanks for your input.  BTW, in my area of southeast
> Texas, the closest LUG in in Houston, Texas and they are
> either inactive or dead as they do not answer several emails
> I have sent to them.  Hmmm, or maybe they just didn't
> like my questions posed.-:))
>
> First, it wasn't Scott but I who pointed out that this
> is an
> international list, not solely an American one. Second,
> even if it were
> an "American" list, the U.S. is a big place. What
> would someone from
> Maine know about New Mexico ISPs? I can't believe this
> isn't obvious.
> Finally, that a city the size of Houston doesn't have a
> viable LUG
> (according to you) is a sad state of affairs. Perhaps you
> ought to start
> one in your area. Universities and colleges are usually
> good places to
> recruit LUG members.
>
> Getting back to finding a local ISP, even a cursory Google
> search for
> <find isp new mexico> yields many results.
> <http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all>, which is not
> limited to just DSL
> providers, is also a good resource.
> --
Hey Clifford, I knew you were the OP on the remarks made in the
email I posted to.  My only point is what is so wrong about asking
the list for possible help. Only those who might know something need
reply to the OP post and besides with all the OT, ranting, etc. I see
on the list that's not appropriate what's so wrong about asking if anyone
knows what's up in NM.  I found the helpful replies much more interesting
than the above crap mentioned that hardly anyone ever bitches about. Just
my $.02.
Yes, I find that the Houston LUG not being active strange too. But never got a reply from the email address I got googleing for local LUGs. I also read the links that NoOp listed and from their list archives I read I don't think asking a local state user group would wield much info.  YMMV, but it seems to me that all are just in a planning or formation phase of their existence. No indications of any question/answer or troubleshooting activity in their archives that I could find.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net