Ubuntu live cd display question

TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn
Sun Jan 4 04:30:32 UTC 2009

Hi:

I am using a Ubuntu 8.04 desktop edition cd, not the alaternative
installation cd.

When i select "Install Ubuntu" in the Ubuntu's Main menu, then the
installation began.

After showing Ubuntu logo&Progress bar, a desktop will appear, and a
installation UI will appear, let you select some items(such as :
keyboard layout,date area,disk partition, etc. after you set one item,
you should press "Next" button in this setting UI.).

On my pc, the desktop user interface is abnormal; its display area is
out of the actual scope of my LCD screen.

If i select "Safe Graphic Mode" through F4 before select "Install
Ubuntu" in the Ubuntu's Main menu, then after showing Ubuntu
logo&Progress bar, the desktop ui displayed properly.

Some users said: if you select "Safe Graphic Mode" when installing
Ubuntu, Ubuntu will use VESA driver to display X-Window.

If you did not select "Safe Graphic Mode", Ubuntu will detect your
display card automatically, then it would select proper display card
driver based on its detection.

My question is:

If Ubuntu can not detect display card hardware , then it would use VESA
display driver at default?

On my pc, the X-Window is out of my actual LCD screen, it means: Ubuntu
used a fault display card driver?