repair win xp

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 02:43:24 UTC 2009

On 01/06/2009 06:32 PM, hermanaa wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:23:41 +0800, John Heinen <hensandpat at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> XP (XP Professional in my case) is not following standard
>>>  'boot from CD' behavior:
>>>  --to start from XP bootable CD, you have to touch a key.
>>>  --without touching a key, the CD in the CD-drive will be ignored,
>>>  the system (with XP CD in drive) will try to start the XP OS
>>>  instead.
>>>
>>> I used that behavior to get XP started when GRUB did not show XP
>>>  in the menu.
>>> My incomplete GRUB was the result of a failed Ubuntu installation.
>>>
>>> Herman in PHL.
>>>

>> Thanks Herman, Actually I /have been lucky so far by not succeding in
>> the restoration of win xp until I first recovered the files out of win
>> xp. That I have to learn yet/ . Paul Kaplin mentioned to recover the
>> files by Dolphin, I don't know how to do that either, I am still
>> learning. I have also found an article by Microsoft how to restore xp[
>> it's a bit complicated, but first I need to remove those files, tel me
>> how. Thanks John H.
>
> I (for myself) have made quite an issue out of RESCUE (recovering).
>   (I have seen your XP problem ....)
> I did a re-install of XP. I lost access to to my Ubuntu of course.
>   As I did not know GRUB well enough, I did a 6.06LTS-Ubuntu-install
>   to a spare partition (less than 30 minutes). As part of that install
>   GRUB picked up all the OS'es. At startup I now have choice of WIN
>   and 2 Ubuntu systems.
> ---
>
> I have 2 convenient ways to 'steal' files from any OS:
>   (incl historical WIN, incl NTFS)
>
> 1. Puppy-Linux, running from CD+USB-flashdrive (default start-up).
>   It is a joy to operate Puppy: copy files from any OS (and back,
>   if so required), to any destination (incl burning a CD).
>   It has GParted as well (for checking/changing partitions).
>   It gives Internet access and has a browser (SeaMonkey). You can
>   do any Internet-work (urgent email: my system is DOWN!) or send
>   a file to safety somewhere on Internet.
>   (Puppy is INVALUABLE here, even the kids use it if my
>    Ubuntu-Linux is 'under repair', like 'no flashplayer'. It is
>    amazing what a little spare OS can do to peace with myself
>    and peace in the house.)
>
> 2. The PartedMagic CD (Partitioning, bootable CD, good GUI) has
>   good file-see/copy/save capability. As a partition-program
>   it has access anywhere.
>   It also provides Internet-access, browser FireFox.

And add Knoppix to that list - that's pretty much at the top of my
system recovery CD's.

However I suspect that John Heinen will need some direct hand-holding/help.
  So John if you'll drop me a direct email tomorrow I'll try to help
work you through the issue directly (or perhaps Herman can as well -
Herman?). Either way *don't* mess with any of your XP files just yet.