Recommend a dual head video card

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 5 04:15:30 UTC 2009

Robert,

Apologies for the delay in responding,as I needed to be at the console
of my office machine to check the key settings, but that isn't
subscribed to the list.

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 11:19 -0500, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 15:38 +1300, Tim wrote:
> > Is the X server using the proprietary nvidia driver or the open-source
> > one (nv)? You can tell because the proprietary driver will flash the
> > NVIDIA logo as X starts.  The open-source driver may not support
> > non-vesa resolutions properly.
> >
> > Are you using the nvidia-settings tool to configure X?  That should
> > recognise the native resolutions of most monitors (especially newer
> > flat-panel models), and set up the X configuration appropriately.
> Yes, I have used this approach every time, however, I started from
> scratch after your confirmation. As usual, everything works fine,
> without the high cpu usage, after getting back to lowest resolution,
> 640x480 on both monitors. As soon as I set my new widescreen to
> 1440x900, the problems starts again. So, I took a step further this time
> and disabled by old LCD 4:3 monitor and it works fine. So, I guess my
> problem is using two different resolutions. Are you, or anyone, using
> dual resolutions as well as dual monitors?

My setup at work uses twinview, with
Screen 0 is 1280x1024
Screen 1 is 1600x1200

xdpyinfo reports the display dimension as 2880x1200 pixels

So TwinView takes the two monitors, and combines them into 1 extra-wide
display.  I presume, from what you describe, that you are using separate
X screens, rather than TwinView.  I haven't tried that setup.

>  I guess my only option is to
> get a new second monitor that supports my preferred resolution of
> 1440x900? For me, after using dual monitors for years, one monitor is
> not an option, even with widescreen :)
>
> Thanks for your response.

Tim

--