Processor Scaling

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jan 3 22:16:12 UTC 2009

Not a bit - as I said, that's my understanding... but I was wrong once. :-)

> When I tested my PC (Core 2 Duo)
> with a power meter, there was only 5W difference when I changed my CPU
> frequency from scaled to full frequency when the cpu was idle.  However,
> putting the cpu under load would spike the power by over 15W.  (I did
> not, however, try to force the CPU at full load / half frequency)

Yeah, that's not telling you (or me) an awful lot.

You'd need to measure both frequency and load while doing the same tasks -
and you probably need to try to use a task that tasks the CPU but not to the
limit (because if it's using 80% cpu at full frequency, and 100% at 50%
frequency, you don't know just how high it _could_ have gone).  And you'd
also want to know if the task took longer at the lower frequency.