Processor Scaling

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Jan 3 20:37:53 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Load.  You're running it at its maximum _frequency_, but the processor
> itself will be idle some percentage of the time.  aiui, a processor running
> at 50% load and 100% frequency, is using more power than one at 100% load
> and 50% frequency.

You got data to back that up Derek?  When I tested my PC (Core 2 Duo)
with a power meter, there was only 5W difference when I changed my CPU
frequency from scaled to full frequency when the cpu was idle.  However,
putting the cpu under load would spike the power by over 15W.  (I did
not, however, try to force the CPU at full load / half frequency)