powertop: making changes permanent

Jonas Pedersen jonas at chown.dk
Fri Jan 2 14:37:37 UTC 2009

Paul Johnson wrote:
> However, the changes are not made permanent and I'm not sure how this
> ought to be done in Ubuntu.  (I could do it on a RedHat system that
> does not use upstart, but I'm a bit stumped about Ubuntu).  The first
> time I tried powertop, I learned that the CDMA wireless WAN was always
> on, and I turned that off in the bios and it quieted down powertop
> quite a bit.  But the rest is, well, a mystery for me.
>
> I copied some of the advice that I'd like to follow permanently:
>

> Suggestion: Disable 'hal' from polling your cdrom with:
> hal-disable-polling --device /dev/cdrom 'hal' is the component that au
> to-opens a
>
> uggestion: increase the VM dirty writeback time from 5.00 to 15 secon
> ds with:
>   echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
>
> Suggestion: Enable laptop-mode by executing the following command:
>    echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
>

> Suggestion: Enable SATA ALPM link power management via:
>   echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy
>

> Suggestion: Enable SATA ALPM link power management via:
>   echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy

Laptop-mode can enable some of these features if you have your
AC-adapter unplugged and then disable them again if you plug in the
AC-adapter.

You can enable laptop mode in /etc/default/acpi-support. In
/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf and /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/* you
enable/disable various parts of laptop-mode.

--
Jonas Pedersen - jonas - at - jope.eu / http://chown.dk
Online picture gallery at http://pictureshow.dk