Help Ubuntu 8.10 X server has started crashing 1-2 per day

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Thu Feb 26 13:48:11 UTC 2009

> Hi,

>  So, does the authors of a
> contribution to the thread cater to the person new to the thread who,
> for whatever reason, doesn't have a mail client capable of showing the
> threaded messages in chronological order, or does he cater to the
> people
> who are familiar with the topic already?  For the latter, placing the
> new content at the beginning is more convenient than having to scroll
> through the "reference" material first.

This is purely a matter of opinion, and one I like others do not agree
with. Even if I am following a thread from the beginning, I find it
much easier to read replies if the author,

a) Snips out all but the parts of the post they are actually replying.
As I have above for instance.

b) Post their response to the specific point after that point, again
as I am doing here.

>  Ideally, a contributor to a
> thread wouldn't have to quote previous mails at all and rely
> entirely on
> people's mail clients to keep previous contributions to the thread.

even better to keep each message self contained, with point and
coutner point both included, and nothing else...

> Do you agree that both points of view have merit?  I suspect we won't
> come to an agreement on this subject.  But thanks for the discussion.

I agree you are perfectly entitled to your point of view, but no,
frankly speaking I don't see any advantages to top posting in a
mailing list environment like this (regular one to one emails are a
different thing). All the list I am signed up to, and it is many,
agree and prefer (some more vocally than others) snipped bottom posting.

Chris