Dreamweaver Equiv

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Wed Feb 25 00:08:44 UTC 2009

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Doesn't "a1" stand for Alpha1 (dunnon, I just assume) ? That's far from
> stable release. If it were meant to be used, it would be on their
> download page on kompozer.net... and it isn't, as I pointed out.
> Maybe in 6 month it will be released, this will make for 24+ months
> since the last/current release. So I think it's still difficult to see
> it as a very active project, especially since this 0.8 when it does get
> released will probably be just as disappointing as all previous
> releases. Even Kompozer themselves say it: Kompozer is only meant to
> fix minor bugs and annoyances in Nvu, and not more. So there is nothing
> to be expected from Kompozer in the long term, for those looking for
> a credible DW alternative. Adobe will probably have ported DW to Linux
> years before Kompozer gets anywhere.
> Sorry for sounding pressimistic... it's just that I have been using
> Linux for 7 years now, and it still feels like most
> applications/programs either die/stagnate or go nowhere, or so slowly
> that it's not of any practical use.
>
> I am sure Linux is all rosy on the server, but the Desktop is... mmm...
> well, so much works needs to be done, might as well still be alpha in
> 20 years time I fear :-/

Linux is fine for the casual user. Surfing, email, office apps, they are
all there.  Once you get into the content creation category, things
are more challenging. Music, video and graphics production are
areas where Windows and MacOS have an edge over Linux.

On Linux, most apps are free and people maybe expect things
to be free, but what may be needed is to encourage commercial
enterprices to create or port software to Linux. But with the low
market share Linux has in the desktop market, it certainly isn't
easy. Hopefully this will increase, and if people are willing to pay,
perhaps it will happen.

Another way things could happen is for the Linux community to
support open source programmers with their dollars to create
the software they seek. If one wanted a WYSIWYG editor
like Dreamweaver, one could pay an amount to that project.
I know such initiatives exist, though I don't remember URLs
offhand.

Odd