Why do people detest top posting so much?

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 23:59:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 07:20:10 +1000, Res wrote:

[snip]

> Its down to laziness on those who dont know how to CUT qoutes and comment
> inline to them, remove the shit you are not going to directly respond to,
> thats the good netizen method of yesteryear, if your not going to do that,
> then bottom and top posting are equally acceptable and no-one but no-one
> has any right to tell anyone any different.

Well Rez, although I agree with most of what you wrote, which I snipped, I
do want to point out that whoever is paying for the equipment and
maintenance to host the list we are using for free, probably does have
some inherent right to specify terms of service. If there is a standard
then people who want to use the list probably should consider following it.

In addition, if there is a format which increases the chances that someone
asking for help will get help from the most knowledgeable and helpful
posters here, then it probably is wise to follow it. Often threads like
this one start with someone trying to point out what might be useful
advice for the OP (especially if they are new to the list) and then
degenerate into what we are all reading, which many of us have seen time
and again and which just add noise to the archives.