Help Ubuntu 8.10 X server has started crashing 1-2 per day

Thomas Wolf twolf at netforensics.com
Fri Feb 20 22:10:12 UTC 2009

Hi Derek,
On 02/20/2009 03:22 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Wow!  You _read_ the whole thread every time?  I have a capable mail client,
> thanks, and I don't even let it show me the whole thread.  I can jump back
> to a complete message if I want, by clicking on the appropriate header, but
> I want enough context in a reply to make it obvious what someone responds
> to.

> You miss the point as most top-posters do.  You should NEVER have to scroll
> through the reference material.  Top-posters almost never trim at all.
> Bottom-posters who don't just don't get read.  Quoting should always be in
> context - and if you don't quote at all, I'm not likely to read what you
> wrote.

I just saw Charlie's comment about this wasting alot of bandwidth.  Just
a quick response to your friendly post:

What makes you think I read the whole thread every time?  Anyway, I now
understand your point about wanting "just enough" context so that you
can effectively get through a few hundred emails per day.  Fine.
However, your reasons don't really argue against top-posting.  It seems
to boil down to you thinking that top-posters leave more crap at the end
of their messages than bottom-posters leave at the top of their
messages.  I don't know if that's a fact or not, but you're welcome to
your opinion.

I will, of course, observe the local etiquette when posting.  There's
nothing worse than having a thread where half the people top-post and
half bottom-post.

Best regards,
Tom