All new docs in the last five days are gone!

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 00:32:42 UTC 2009

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com>  said:
>> 20090218 2103 GMT-5
>>
>> Crap!!!! My system keeps weirding out on me.
>>
>> I just rebooted my system after I couldnt get a thumbdrive icon off
>> the screen after unmounting it. Now all my documents I have written
>> in the past five days are gone. All my html files, all my php files -
>> anything I have worked on is missing - EXCEPT my email. It is all
>> here.
>>
>> I have tried running a search on file names and nothing comes up.
>>
>> How can this happen?
>>
>> Wade
>
> where were these files, on the hard drive or the thumbdrive
> (geek stick)?  If on the stick and you shut down before the stick
> completed its write then you probably corrupted files.  Good luck
> getting them back.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

20090219 1823 GMT-5

I had posted here recently about a grub problem. After getting that done
-- like hour later - was the first day this happened. I started a scan
of all three of my hard drives this morning before leaving on a trip.
When I got home it had found all my files but on a hard drive that I
think was the one that was messed up in grub.

I moved all the files over to where they should be but, Im not sure why
there were posted there in the first place.

See, I have two drives: at some point in time when I reinstalled ubuntu
or when I reinstalled the drives after working on my computer I switched
the location of the drives. I guess that was enough to cause problems
over time.

Now though the drives are in the correct order physically again, my
files apparently went to the other location.

I dont understand all of this but for the next few days what Im going to
do is save it in my chosen location and then check it immediately.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005