Places Menu

Jean Dewald jean.dewald at qipsgroup.be
Thu Feb 12 22:23:27 UTC 2009

On do, 2009-02-12 at 08:13 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/12/2009 01:22 AM, Jean Dewald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > mimeapps exists!  I got following answer:
> >
> > jean at QIPSG01:~$ locate mimeapps.list
> > /home/jean/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> >
> > jean at QIPSG01:~$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> >
> > [Added Associations]
> > x-content/image-dcf=f-spot-import.desktop;gnome-appearance-properties.desktop;banshee-1.desktop;
> > application/octet-stream=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> > application/x-extension-volume=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> > audio/x-wav=totem.desktop;
> > inode/directory=
> > image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;
> >
> > [Removed Associations]
> > audio/x-wav=brasero-open-project.desktop;userapp-aplaymidi-0FOGOU.desktop;userapp-acpi_listen-ZR6OOU.desktop;ooo-template.desktop;totem-gstreamer.desktop;rhythmbox.desktop;userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;evince.desktop;nautilus-autorun-software.desktop;
> > inode/directory=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;kde4-cervisia.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
> >
> > Is that any help?
>
> Yes it does. (Please bottom post on this list:
>
> OK. It appears that the inode/directory is being modified in your
> mimeapps.list list those in the
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492 bug report.
>
> So... welcome to Ubuntu/linux where we all get to participate in bug
> troubleshooting :-) Have a read all the way through 260492. You're not
> expected to understand everything at this point (I don't), but it will
> give you some idea of what is happening on your system & possible ways
> to fix/work around it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/290028 has
> a nice single explaination of what is happening.
>
> If you compare the inode sections in the 'Added Associations' and the
> 'Removed Associations'  from your file you'll see that
> "nautilus-folder-handler.desktop" was removed. If you read the bug
> report, you'll see that this is the main problem. The temporary fix is
> to remove the inode line in the file. You can do this by editing
> directly; open a terminal:
>
> gedit gedit .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> then delete this line:
>
> inode/directory=
> image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;
>
> save the file and close gedit. Now try 'Places|Home Folder' and see if
> that works.
>   Even if it does (I suspect that it will), there is still the issue of
> why it happened in the first place. Only reading & joining in on bug
> 260492 will help resolve it. That bug talks about this issue occuring
> after upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10; however in your case it was from a
> fresh install, so the problem still exists. If you'd like to help out,
> you can register (top right corner) and add a comment regarding your
> mimeapps.list.

Hello NoOp,

Your suggestion doesn't work.

Remember, first the 3 first items of Places fired gtkpod, but with the
'Open with' I suppressed the reference to gtkpod.
In place I got the error
"Could not open the location file:///home/...
No application is registered as handling the file"

With your change I still got the same error.

Then I inserted the line
'inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;'
in the mimeapps.list

And Bingo! Problem solved! (at least for the moment because the bug is
still present)

Anyway thanks a lot for your help

Jean