Places Menu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 12 16:13:15 UTC 2009

On 02/12/2009 01:22 AM, Jean Dewald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> mimeapps exists!  I got following answer:
>
> jean at QIPSG01:~$ locate mimeapps.list
> /home/jean/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> jean at QIPSG01:~$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> [Added Associations]
> x-content/image-dcf=f-spot-import.desktop;gnome-appearance-properties.desktop;banshee-1.desktop;
> application/octet-stream=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> application/x-extension-volume=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> audio/x-wav=totem.desktop;
> inode/directory=
> image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;
>
> [Removed Associations]
> audio/x-wav=brasero-open-project.desktop;userapp-aplaymidi-0FOGOU.desktop;userapp-acpi_listen-ZR6OOU.desktop;ooo-template.desktop;totem-gstreamer.desktop;rhythmbox.desktop;userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;evince.desktop;nautilus-autorun-software.desktop;
> inode/directory=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;kde4-cervisia.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
>
> Is that any help?

Yes it does. (Please bottom post on this list:

OK. It appears that the inode/directory is being modified in your
mimeapps.list list those in the
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492 bug report.

So... welcome to Ubuntu/linux where we all get to participate in bug
troubleshooting :-) Have a read all the way through 260492. You're not
expected to understand everything at this point (I don't), but it will
give you some idea of what is happening on your system & possible ways
to fix/work around it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/290028 has
a nice single explaination of what is happening.

If you compare the inode sections in the 'Added Associations' and the
'Removed Associations'  from your file you'll see that
"nautilus-folder-handler.desktop" was removed. If you read the bug
report, you'll see that this is the main problem. The temporary fix is
to remove the inode line in the file. You can do this by editing
directly; open a terminal:

gedit gedit .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

then delete this line:

inode/directory=
image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;

save the file and close gedit. Now try 'Places|Home Folder' and see if
that works.
  Even if it does (I suspect that it will), there is still the issue of
why it happened in the first place. Only reading & joining in on bug
260492 will help resolve it. That bug talks about this issue occuring
after upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10; however in your case it was from a
fresh install, so the problem still exists. If you'd like to help out,
you can register (top right corner) and add a comment regarding your
mimeapps.list.