Vlc won't play DVD's on Ubuntu, or Kubuntu Intrepid

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Feb 11 06:55:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 23:18 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've a lot of experience of compiling packages from source tarballs, but have
> no experience of downloading a src package from a distros repo

It's easier :)

First, install the necessary tools:
apt-get install autotools-dev fakeroot dh-make build-essential

Then edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include the deb-src line for Jaunty
or, alternatively, download the vlc source from packages.ubuntu.com.

Then following this guide should suffice:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

It is possible that it will not build in the Intrepid environment, but I
think that's unlikely as vlc is not tightly embedded into gtk/gnome.