reduce

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:32:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola!
>
> I just encountered the good news that the REDUCE computer algebra system
> have been
> open-sourced, see     http://reduce-algebra.sourceforge.net/

Interesting. After doing a make - j 4 (I have quadcore) I then tried
to do a make install like I would do with any other tarball. DO NOT DO
THAT!!! If you do, prepared to have your system slow to a crawl. I
tried to break the script, couldn't, after a very short time, the
system stopped responding to keystrokes, pinging it from the laptop
would not work. Apparently, I must have coaxed it to quit, because
when I came back to the machine a few minutes later, I saw the recent
load average had skyrocketed to nearly 800!

The notes suggest to use 'reduce -w' if you have trouble with the X
version, or just want to run command line. I just do 'reduce' and a
small window opens up, which I have to resize or maximize to make any
use of it. Then I see a line where (probably) I'd enter an expression.
But I do that, I just get another prompt.