setting up HP 4050 with network adapter

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:16:15 UTC 2009

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris Mohler wrote:

>>> Are you sure it's not getting an IP via DHCP?  Try 'sudo netmap -A
>>> 192.168.0.*' (or whatever your LAN is).
>>>
>>> If not, you may have to look at the HP docs to see what the default IP
>>> is.  Is there anything in the printer's (physical LCD) menu that has
>>> to deal with the network settings? I have a vague memory of something
>>> like that on a 4000N...
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> 20090210 1445 GMT-5
>>
>> Ah, it just took a few times starting the printer before it got an IP.
>>
>> Ok. I went to setup the printer. The options are
>> AppSocket / HP JetDirect
>> ipp
>> or in cups there is also http
>>
>> Im guessing I choose JetDirect?
>
> If memory serves, yes.  If not, it's probably ipp.  You can try
> running nmap against the printer IP to see open ports, or telnet to
> the IP on jetdirect (900-something?) or ipp (631) and see if there is
> a response.
>
> Chris

20090210 1507 GMT-5

I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
Host Name: PAL5U006
Config by: dhcp
ip 192.168.0.3
def gateway is 162.168.1.1

Now, I put in IP addr in under JetDirect and it came up with port 9100
but it cant find the pc. I had to allow the service in Firestarter for
that IP but its using port 50285, 55603 and 46679.

I installed nmap and this is the result:
wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:00 CST
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.061 seconds

wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3
Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:06 CST
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.058 seconds

wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3 -PN
Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:06 CST
All 1714 scanned ports on 192.168.0.3 are filtered

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 345.225 seconds
wadesmart at wadesmart:~$

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675