apt-cacher slow

Michael Varre mvarre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:59:36 UTC 2009

Hello all.  I recently setup a new server to act as a dedicated apt-cacher
server for all the obvious reasons.  I have Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS installed on
all servers.

It seems as though running apt-get update from the apt-cacher server as well
as the other regular servers is overall much slower going through the
apt-cacher proxy than going direct to internet. My environment is fully Gbit
(to internet as well) and hardware is more than sufficient. There are two
local resolvers that are underutilizied and run properly.

Sometimes the updates go slow, sometimes they just sit at 99% [Waiting for
headers] for about 10 minutes and then it fails (only on some of the
repositories, and only sometimes). The updates are actually coming through
correctly, and are getting cached and sent on down correctly.

Any ideas on what this speed issue is all about?