Sound no longer works

kirk abbott kirkabbott at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 00:16:36 UTC 2009

Looks like Nigel closer to the problem than I thought. While I didn't have a conflicting USB installed, I did have the driver for it installed. The Laptop comes with a Conexant HD Audio card built-in. What I had tried to use earlier was a USB Modem using another Conexant driver. Knowing that I had a Conexant sound card, I went looking for Conexant drivers and found that I had one installed for an USB Modem. I was never able to get the modem working, and remembering what Nigel had written regarding USB devices, I uninstalled the device driver. After rebooting, everything started working again.

All I can say is,

Thanks Nigel.

Kirk Abbott