No more "me too" posts.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 21:42:20 UTC 2009

> Or don't buy the product. See how long an employer pays developers when
> the products don't sell. Or see how long an application sticks around
> when no one uses it.

Calm down. If you think that there are not enough bug reports for the
devs to fix, then trawl the mailing lists and blogs and start filing
bugs. I don't know how you would have the developer-user relationship
work when the devs needs more info, such as if a particular patch
fixes the problem or not.

> Oh, I'll send the honor to you with a basket of fruit, a big bow on top
> and a smile. The fact of the matter is that if products don't sell (and
> yes, this doesn't *directly* apply to FOSS products, but it does still
> have an impact when the programmers want food on the plate and a roof
> under which to live, unless everyone on the Internet is living in a
> self-sustaining commune, I'll concede) a business can't afford to pay
> their engineers and developers.
>
> In an ideal world, your view would be just the bee's knees. I agree. I'd
> love to see people actually follow an efficient system put in place to
> help them.
>
> Realistically...I'd have better luck finding a unicorn that grants magic
> wishes than finding consumers who will cooperate with what *other
> people* impose on them for these standards of user-friendliness.
> Consumer-centric cultures means catering to the lazy and the
> self-centered needs...well, desires...of the consumer, and that means
> making concessions to doing what the CUSTOMER wants, not the developer,
> whether it's going to streamline efficiency or be in their best interest
> or not. There's plenty of information on topics that relate to this; I
> named one already, and there are books like "Don't make me think!", etc.
> etc.
>
> Engineers are a weird group. If you understand what I'm talking about,
> then you probably understand that what you want is an ideal for your
> workflow but is really not achievable no matter how much you fight it.
> Ideally computers would be used for getting work done, as a tool to
> expand arts and literature and create new drugs and etc. etc, instead
> they're used mostly for texting teenagers, viewing porn, and playing
> video games. Computer technology wasn't "driven" in advancements for
> noble reasons. Advancements in affordable video graphics and network
> bandwidth was driven by first person shooters and b00b13s.
>
> So...catering to the lowest common denominators is a concession
> companies have to make to make a profit.
>
> So are you arguing because of what you *want* to see, or because of what
> you honestly think you're going to see as a transformation in a mailing
> list culture? Either way I think it's been a nice conversation. Unless
> you're getting offended, which I didn't mean to do.

I'm not offended. I simply think that you do not realize the value or
necessity of an official bugtracker.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü