No more "me too" posts.

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Feb 6 14:40:50 UTC 2009

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Yeah...new users are so familiar with the archives. That's why we have
>> the periodic netiquette reminders, personal peeve on formatting flares,
>> etc. etc...
>>

> New users are only new users for a relatively short amount of time.
> Adjusting things to appease new users at the relative expense of the
> more experienced users is often regarded as a silly idea.

BUT what about the users that pop in because they have a question and
not because they want to subscribe?

Or don't want to follow the large number of emails, or just want their
problem solved, not to help others?

This is a list for help, no? Not a group dedicated to recruiting *just*
other users of ubuntu specifically to help other people?

> I know I've been quite quiet on this list of late, but I get ~100 emails
> a day. If I've got to the third unread message in a thread that's again
> someone saying "yeah, I had this problem too", I'll mark the thread as
> ignored. I'd be surprised if I was the only one to do this.

No doubt. I tend to ignore threads that have top-postings because the
are difficult for me to follow and read. But also if you're ignoring
posts just based on "I have it too", aren't you punishing the OP for
what you are labeling as sins of other users to the list?

*shrug* just asking...