Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 01:07:37 UTC 2009

On 02/04/2009 01:27 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Chris G wrote:

>>> So change the timeout value on sudo.
>>>
>> ... and get incredibly frustrated by having to repeatedly re-enter the
>> password! :-)
>
> My teenage daughter likes to pull this sort of thing where she'll ask to
> stop at, say, McDonald's.
>
> "We have food at the house."
> "No we don't."
> "Leftover pizza."
> "Too greasy."
> "Hot dogs. Microwave them."
> "No, don't want that."
> "Cereal."
> "Don't want that."
> "Chef Boyardee."
> "Don't like that."
> "Rolls and cheese and some sandwich meat..."
> "Don't feel like that."
> "So...you've basically got a reason to not like anything in the fridge
> or pantry, after just going grocery shopping and stocking up on things,
> and that reason is...it's not McDonalds."
> "Nuh uh! That's not true!"
> "You're going to eat something from the house or starve. Life sucks.
> Deal with it."

Chris G obviously misses the fact that he can change the timeout value
to whatever value he wishes; long or short. But I reckon it is more fun
to bait the list than to actually lookup information on sudo and sudoers.

@Chris G:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudoTimeout
man sudoers
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers