No more "me too" posts.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Feb 5 15:00:50 UTC 2009

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> >
> > I don't think it helps to know I'm not the only one having a
> > particular problem. It doesn't help to SOLVE the problem and that
> > would be what I want.
>
> No, it doesn't, but when you go to a list with people who help others
> and say your glablabber isn't installing with an error about the
> libtibbop and thirty others start "me to-ing" and "This happened to me
> over quinty months ago", then you generally have an idea that
> a) you're not alone
> b) others have tried, and apparently failed, to solve the issue
> c) you're probably kinda screwed.
>
> And sometimes it's best not to be left wondering.

OK, that makes sense - I didn't think of that aspect.

> >> Lots of 'me too' signal a widespread problem. There is the
> >> possibility of dismissing a singular report on the grounds of
> >> "isolated and un-reproducable" or such like. Lots of 'Me too' posts
> >> make that impossible, and act as a heads-up that the issue is
> >> serious.
> >
> > So you think people should get only help here if it is a widespread
> > issue? I know you didn't say that but IMHO that would be the
> > consequence if "me too" posts would be declared useful in any way.
>
> I don't think he's saying that others should get help only if it's
> widespread...I think it sounds like he's saying it's a forum for
> someone to see it and say "we've got thirty people with XYZ issue so it
> should be a priority," even though I don't know how many, if any,
> developers are actually paying attention to these forums.

Well, maybe there are two different kind of people involved here. For me
as a user who wants to help others it isn't relevant if there are 1 or 10
people with a particular problem. If I have an idea how to solve the
problem I would help already if there is a single post. OTOH, I could
understand if a developer monitoring the list to find out if there are
frequent problems would ignore single posts. In my reply I didn't
consider the second group.

Nils