xen DomU, apparmor and apache

Dolf Andringa dolf.andringa at elcyon.nl
Wed Feb 4 09:12:03 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am running an Ubuntu Hardy server inside a Xen Domu virtual machine. I
want to run an apache web-server on the machine and am wondering about
restricting it's access to unnecessary parts of the OS by using
apparmor. I am wondering though whether there are any know problems with
running apparmor inside a Xen guest virtual machine. I have run across
this page:
http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Xen_Guest_(DomU)_Hangs_after_EXT3-fs:_mounted_filesystem_with_ordered_data_mode_message
which says that there is at least one (quite crucial) problem which can
be solved easily. Before I try anything, I want to be sure that I can at
least boot my virtual machine normally and access it through ssh when I
installed apparmor.
Does anybody use apparmor in a virtual server environment, and if so,
are there any known issues? Did anyone run into the above issue, and if
so, was it indeed so easily solved?
Cheers,

Dolf.