Upgrades and Flash

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 4 06:07:17 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>
> Subject: Re: Upgrades and Flash
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 11:25 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Interesting indeed.  Would dpkg-reconfigure
> > run with the OP's original .mozailla dir in place
> be an appropriate thing to do? I would like to know.
>
> I doubt it.  I would gradually reconstruct the new profile
> (e.g. copy
> settings files, reinstall extensions, one by one) in order
> to get the
> desired functionality without breaking YouTube again.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Ok, your point taken about reconfiguring.
Only issue I have with what you would do, ie. reconstruct, is that it is a long and tedious job which I have once tried and gave up on. Perhaps, an expert would have less trouble. Would there be a way to accomplish geting back youtube that a person who is comfortable installing, updrading,fixing routine issues, getting flashplugin and jave installed and functioning and just the normal everyday routine of managing an Ubuntu install but not all the guru fine points and knowledge?
I'm asking this with consideration of your instruction on reconstructing the .mozilla dir. I believe you said previously that moving ~/.mozilla, if it worked, meant that it was a system wide issue which I interpret that it could be elsewhere in the OS. Would appreciate it if you would comment on where else the issue might be in the OS. I'm aware of the usual places the plugin is located or at least google and read to find the locations. Just trying to increase my knowledge and at the same time help the OP out.  Thanks.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net