Linux dpkg Software Report

Christian Schult cschult at gmx.de
Thu Dec 24 10:34:46 UTC 2009

Hello Tim,

Tim Frost wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 21:25 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

> > I hope I won't get flamed for this, but I have just completed my most
> > ambitious script to date, and have completed the Linux dpkg Software
> > Report script which takes output from dpkg, and formats it into html
> > pages sorted by package section, such as Games, Editors, etc... and also
> > generates an alphabetical index to the packages.

> This allows an admin to install the scripts in a system directory such
> as /usr/bin, without needing to compromise system security.

Sorry for beeing a bit nitpicking, of course one can install files where
one wants to. According to FHS [1] it's recommended to put executables
not installed by the systems package management into /usr/local/bin.

This ensures that locally installed files do not overwrite files
installed by package management or aren't overwritten by them in future.
Also backup is easy because you only have to backup /usr/local.

Christian

1 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/