data shredder

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Dec 22 12:46:46 UTC 2009

Hi!

On 22/12/2009 13:35, Kent Borg wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> My 2 cents are simple. Do not waste a second on securing the password
>> for your WiFi device.
>>
> Mine is completely open.

Not necessarily smart...

In many countries, this means that if somebody uses your WiFi LAN to
commit a cybercrime, you are held liable for it and will be sued
accordingly. This is the case, now, in France with the new HADOPI law
(we are waiting for the application decrees to come out but the law is
there).

It's OK if you live in a house surrounded by a large enough property.
It's NOT if you live in an appartment building with many people around.

This is why most (if not all) internet operators that ship WiFi
equipments ship them, now, with WPA2 enabled by default.