Boot Order [solved]

Mark C. Miller mr.mcmiller at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 02:45:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:54:55 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 12/20/2009 03:30 PM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:48:19 +0000, Mark C.  Miller wrote:
>>
>>> This may actually be mover of a windows question.
>>>
>>> I recently installed wubi on a computer at my work (a school).  When I
>>> boot the computer, the default is to boot the windows side as the
>>> default.  I'd like to change that, if possible, so that it defaults to
>>> Ubuntu as OS.
>>>
>>> I suspect it has to be possible; I just can't find the right
>>> combination of search terms to find it via google.
>>>
>>> tnx
>>>
>>> mcm
>>
>> got an offlist email with the fix.
>
> And, for the benefit of others on the list... the "fix" was?

#

Turn On Your PC

Have you ever noticed the messages that pop up on the screen as soon as
you turn on your PC? These messages tell you a key combination you can
press to enter "Setup" or the "BIOS." Watch your screen and see if you
can read what keys to press.
#

Press the Keys to Enter Setup Mode

If you did not see a message telling you what keys to press, try tapping
the following possibilities as you turn on the machine:

    *

      Esc
    *

      F2
    *

      F12
    *

      F10
    *

      F1

After pressing Esc or other key, you will most likely see instructions
telling you how to enter "Setup Mode". Follow those instructions.

Tip

On some computers, you must hold down the key before you press the power
button to turn on the computer. For example, if you are converting a
Toshiba laptop to a Linux Workstation, you must hold down the Esc key and
then press the power button. The computer then asks you to press F1, and
you can then set the "Boot Priority."
#

Using the Arrow Keys, Choose the "Boot," "Boot Order," or "Boot Priority"
Option

The menu of choices you see will be different for different kinds of
computers. Remember that the choice you want is the "Boot" order or "Boot
Priority." On some computers, this is called the "Start Up Options" or
"Start Up Sequences." You are going to change where the PC will look for
boot information when it starts up.

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA