What just happen? Grub read error message

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 20 10:56:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 05:51:54 -0000, Brittany Fleischer
<linuxwolfz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Alex
> I'm afraid you're right about the hardware demons.
>
> What I'm trying to figure out if it's my CPU chip, my hard drive or my
> motherboard, which I sure hope it isn't.
>
> Often times when I try to load my system it goes thru the normal process
> up until it tries to load up ubuntu, it then gives me a black screen
> that will last forever if I let it.
>
> I've done many reboots and the very first reboot was when it gave me
> grub and then o had to type in some command, which never happen to me
> before.
>
> Other times when I reboot my system it gives me a black blank screen.
> When I attempt to shut off my computer with the power off button on my
> computer it doesn't want to turn off so I go to the back of my computer
> to unplug the power supply plug.
>

> The strangest thing is that it gave me the same crap before and all of
> the sudden the computer fixed it's self, I thought it was the
> motherboard and hard drive for sure.
>

> What do you think? Is it my CPU chip , the hard drive or my motherboard?

Most likely power supply!

The first thing I’d do, though, is:-

ensure all fans are clear and running
remove any dust etc. from the MOBO
check the heat-sink on the CPU is secure
reseat all connectors
reseat memory cards and any other cards.

--
Steve