How to reset things to their default, post-installation state?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 20 02:56:05 UTC 2009

On 12/19/2009 06:09 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I've been playing with a number of different things on my Mythbuntu
> box (ALSA drivers, proprietary ATI video drivers, etc...) and have not
> had a whole lot of success getting things to work.  At this point, I
> would like to just wipe the disk clean and start again.
>
> But I figured I'd take the opportunity to ask if there is a different
> way to achieve the same effect.  Is there some apt/aptitude/dpkg
> command that will verify the files on my system against those in the
> official Ubuntu packages and replace them (and/or inform me) if they
> are different?  Basically, I am looking for something like
>
> $ apt-get dist-verify

No such command.

> As I said, I'll probably just wipe the disk and start anew, possibly
> having learned a thing or two from everything I've tried.

One thing you can do is reinstall from the liveCD but keep the home
folder instact. See:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-May/185513.html
start from:
"Now using jaunty 8x liveCD to install. Get a slightly different screen"
same basically applies to karmic. However, if you'd like to wait until
tomorrow I can test with the karmic liveCD.

You can use the archive to view the entire thread, or view here:
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/184420>
Note the "(Continue reading)" bits to expand long threads.