Intermittent network connection problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 17 23:44:28 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 10:20 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> and then you should get the running status again:
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>>  * nmbd is running
>>  * smbd is running
>
> NoOp,
>
> Thanks alot for the detailed examples.  They will save me a lot of
> reboots.
>
> Also, you helped me redefine the real problem and that is Samba not
> starting. I just Googled that and see some hits, so maybe the longterm
> solution lies there.

Were I you, I'd simply reinstall samba at this point. You can of course
sort throught the config files etc., to pinpoint the problem, but the
easiest may be to purge and reinstall. From the gui:
System|Adminstraton|Synaptic...|Quick Search: samba|right-click: samba
|Mark for complete removal|Apply. Now click on 'samba' again & Mark for
installation|Apply.

>From the cli/terminal:

$ sudo apt-get purge samba
$ sudo apt-get install samba