Thread hijacking

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 17 04:29:10 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 07:55 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Well, I've had a look and I suppose others with better understanding of
>> lists can comment (and yes I do indeed know the RFC system), but maybe
>> I'm not understanding. This list seems to comply:
>
> Well, yes, it has the List-Post header and so I can make use of the
> Reply lit button but that does not guarantee that all replies will go
> back to the list which I believe is what the owners of the list want. I
> had to get an addon to get a Reply list button. If the muas are not
> keeping up with RFCs, list admins that want a mailing list that is used
> for group discussion do not really have much choice but to do Reply-To:
> munging.

Umm...
Click 'Reply' and your MUA will reply to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
There should be no need for an add-on. Unless of course I am still not
understanding your point.

>>> Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> And again, not disputing, just trying to understand that issue.
>
> There is no issue. Just some who are continually harping about the
> sounder list settings.

I seldom frequent the sounder list, but I'll go take a look. Do you have
a particular subject item that I can view?

>> But then again, I suppose that discussing this further in this thread is
>> indeed 'Thread hijacking' eh :-) Perhaps we can start a new thread over
>> in sounder to discuss further. Thanks for the info & we now return back
>> to 'Thread hijacking'... :-)
>>

> This has already been brought up there. No point. sounder has a
> different purpose from ubuntu-users so it has RFC compliant. Oh, so is
> ubuntu-devel-discuss btw. No Reply-To: munging there. Therefore, those
> who complain about sounder's setup, please, please just drop it.

My point was/is that by continuing this discussion further, *we* are
*hijacking* this thread from it's original. My suggestion to take it to
sounder or starting a *new* thread is that our continued discussion of
this particular subject has now wandered off from the OT of the thread.

<quote>
As a newcomeer to this list I'm intrigued to know whether the hijacking
of threads is commonplace and accepted here. On other lists I know, any
such behaviour is stamped on instantly, yet it keeps happening here with
impunity.
</quote>

Clear?