Internet security with Torbutton

Werner Schram wrschram at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:31:24 UTC 2009

christopher.lemire at gmail.com wrote:
> I have Torbutton FF extension and privoxy FF extension installed. Ipchicken.com still shows my real ip. I've googled and not been able to find much documentation on Torbutton. Does anyone have it working?

Did you also install TOR and setup privoxy? It is all a bit confusing. I
think TORbutton should actually be called privoxybutton, because it
activates privoxy, which doesn't necessarily communicate with TOR. To
make things more confusing, TOR isn't included in the ubuntu repository,
but privoxy and torbutton are. Just follow the instructions on this page
to get things set up:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR

Werner