Thread hijacking

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Dec 15 14:46:09 UTC 2009

> Thread hijacking is frowned upon, and so is publicly commenting on thread
> hijacking.
>
> The same can be said about the following activities:

--snip--
> * direct replies (not to list)
>

> They are all violations against the letter or the spirit of the mailing
> list etiquette, but the users that do those things are usually new users
> that aren't even aware that there is such a thing as an etiquette.

Where, may I ask, does it say that private/direct replies are violations
of the letter or spirit of mailing list etiquette?

It is a violation of mailing list etiquette to post other's
private/direct replies to you to the mailing list but private/direct
replies in themselves are rarely violations of any mailing list etiquette.