Horrible SAMBA problem, continued

pclapham at windstream.net pclapham at windstream.net
Mon Dec 14 16:03:54 UTC 2009

Thanks to TomH for following up on my previous request (alas both my request and his response are on a different machine, since I'm currently out of town and desperate to get this problem solved when I get back)

The issue is how to get a windows workstation to become a member of a domain using samba's "on the fly" addition.  It would appear that some variant of NET JOIN would be the appropriate way to do this, but I can't figure out how it would be done.  The MAN page of the NET command appears to suggest that the -I or -S command identifies a target server, which would be appropriate to use for a linux member server to join a samba domain, but I don't see an option to indicate that a server can invite a workstation to join.  In looking at the windows side, I don't see an equivalent to net -S join that can enable a windows workstation to request an account on a samba domain.  If memory serves, TomH indicated also that this was the case.  Can somebody explain?

Thanks

cheers,
pete