Whatever happened to Sound Juicer?

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 20:12:12 UTC 2009

> [snip]
>> > I don't understand why any package would not
>> > show up in Synaptic when apt-get can find it.
>>
>> Just searched Software Centre with 'juicer' and Audio CD Extractor popped
>> up and the same term in Synaptic produce sound-juicer

    The search string I used in both Software Center and Synaptic was "juic"
    I have tried it since, and naturally it shows up *now*. Of course,
it's installed on my system now- it seems unlikely that that would
make any difference, but what do I know? I'm just glad it's working
now.

> Ditto... your email reminded me that I never re-installed sound juicer
> after I reinstalled ubuntu.
>
> Why did they ever get rid of this tool from the default install though?
> I've tried to use Rhythmbox to rip music, but I never could figure out
> how...

IIRC Ubuntu's Rhythmbox is set up to do it by default: when you put a
CD in the drive it should show up in the left-hand pane under
"Devices"  (make sure you have the "Side Pane" checked in View menu).
When you click on the CD's icon you get a view of the tracks and a few
extra (unlabeled) icons in the toolbar. The one on the far right has
the tooltip "Copy all tracks to the library" and that's what it does.
Debian's version of Rhythmbox (as of six months ago) does not support
ripping CD's "out of the box", but the functionality can be enabled
via Edit -> Plugins.

I find ripping CD's in Rhythmbox to be frustrating, because I/O errors
will cause the process to hang as it keeps retrying to read the disc.
Rhythmbox has no provision for "Copy *some* tracks to the library",
and lacks useful error messages in this circumstance. Fortunately,
Sound Juicer (aka Audio CD Extractor) works better. I also tried
Asunder, but didn't like it since it wasn't easily configurable to
make directories that fit into Rhythmbox's library structure.

I rip to FLAC, and I was irritated that there wasn't a profile for
ripping to FLAC by default. I had to look it up and configure it
myself. In Preferences -> Music -> Preferred Format -> Edit, I entered
"flac" under File Extension and the following string under GStreamer
Pipeline:

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc

Found in this thread:

Well, that's probably more than anyone wanted to know...