Upgrading flshplugin

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 10 21:29:06 UTC 2009

On 12/10/2009 04:44 AM, stan wrote:
> I have a number of machines that cannot connect directly to the outside
> world. These machines are able to receive their updates using approx. This
> all works well most of the time. This morning, though I ran into an issue.
> flashplugin-non-free has an update. It appears that what gets downloaded
> from the proxy is an installer, and that this installer needs to get the
> actual binary from the outside.
>
> In my case, this causes the apt-get upgrades to fail on all the machines
> that cannot access directly the outside.
>
> I would think that I could just manually copy this binary over from the
> machine that can access the outside to the ones that cannot, right?
> But what file do I need to copy, and where do I need to put it so that the
> inside machines will recognize that they do not have to obtain it
> themselves?

In the machine with the outside access that has been updated: open a
terminal and:

$ locate libflashplayer.so

$ locate libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

On SeaMonkey I simply use 'about:plugins' and it gives me the exact
location:
Shockwave Flash

    File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only gives me the
version.

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42