other partition question

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:14:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used gparted to split up an existing disk.

...and you mentioned that it was mounted.  I presume it was mounted as
/data.  You can verify this by executing the mount command:

$ mount

That should show you something like:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda2 on /data type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)

what does:

$ ls -ld /data

show you?  I anticipate that it might show something like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-12-09 10:10 /data

indicating that /data is owned by "root" and that only "root" has
write access.  If you would like to give everybody write access, you
could execute the "chmod" (Change mode) command with something like:

$ sudo chmod a+w /data

hopefully this will point you somewhere that helps.

--wpd