partition advice

Leonard lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 9 00:25:34 UTC 2009

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I need help with partitions again.
>
> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.  I do not want it any
> more.  I have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can
> teach it here in Panama).   I just added the Spanish version.
>
> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.   It is in SDA /1.  The Spanish
> version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1).  The English version of 9.10
> is in sda/4.
>
> thanks
>
> gary

assuming you know what you are doing, select some partitioning tool and
just remove/delete that sda1 partition.  A good partitioning tool to use
is gparted.  If you are not well versed in partitioning
then I strongly suggest you read up on it and backup the two partitions
you want to keep before doing any deletions or repartitioning.  You
could have actually done this using the live or alt CD when
you first installed Karmic but again you have to know what you are doing
and maybe study a little.  Just don't delete the two Karmics you want to
keep and you may have to reinstall grub on the first
Karmic partition but I not sure of that but it can be done if you get
into boot problems.  HTH, a little,

Leonard
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net